Stewards of Penwern
Fred B. Jones, 1900 – 1933 ( The property could not be sold for five years while Mr. Jones’ will was contested.)
Burr and Peg (Margaret) Robbins, 1938 – 1980 (The Robbins renamed Penwern “Robbinswood.” The boathouse was destroyed in an arson fire in September, 1978.)
Ross Robbins, the Robbins’ son, 1980 – 1989
John O’Shea, 1989 – 1994 (Except for the Gate Lodge, which was owned by Terry Canty, the Robbins’ daughter, 1980 – 2001)
Sue and John Major, 1994 – Present (Gate Lodge, 2001 – Present, The Majors used drawings based on Wright’s original drawings, adapted to meet contemporary building codes to rebuild the boathouse from 2002-2005.)
How did Penwern get its name?
There is a “Penwern” on Lake Delavan in Wisconsin. Elegant. Exquisite. Unmistakably luxurious.
There is a “Penwern” in Wales. Sturdy. Spare. Uncompromisingly protective against time, the elements, the poverty of place.
Could these two be connected by a grandson’s filial nod to a grandmother he barely remembered but whose impact he witnessed lifelong?